2:45:11 Thursday 3 April 2025

Restoration begins at historic Monmouth Redoubt

VIDEO: Tree arborists worked with a helicopter to remove four trees from Monmouth Redoubt on Sunday, 30 March, 2025. Video/Photo/Rosalie Liddle Crawford.

Video Player is loading.
Current Time 0:00
Duration -:-
Loaded: 0%
Stream Type LIVE
Remaining Time 0:00
 
1x
Advertisement

The first phase of a restoration has begun for a significant city centre historic site.

On Sunday, work was undertaken to remove four trees from Monmouth Redoubt, using a helicopter and arborists.

Tauranga City Council released a statement last week informing the public that the Monmouth Redoubt project would focus on stabilising the site by strengthening the redoubt banks.

The helicopter overhead, lifting large branches and trunks through the canopy. Photo/Rosalie Liddle Crawford.

The tree removal is to protect underlying archaeological features and maintain the integrity of the redoubt.

As local residents watched on Sunday morning, Treescape contractors at the site worked with a helicopter to cut and then lift large branches through the canopy to a nearby location.

Council said the removed trees will be repurposed by local hapū as whakairo (carvings), ensuring their cultural significance is preserved.

Tree arborists worked with a helicopter to remove four trees from Monmouth Redoubt on Sunday. Photo/Cameron Scott.

The site at the Dive Crescent end of The Strand was the early Māori settlement of Taumatakahawai Pā and in 1864, British forces built the redoubt as a strategic fortification.

It is closely linked to the Battle of Pukehinahina/Gate Pā and the Battle of Te Ranga, making it a site of both local and national significance in New Zealand’s Land Wars history.

The restoration work at Monmouth will close the redoubt’s eastern pathway until late 2025. Photo/Rosalie Liddle Crawford.

Te Papa Ward councillor Rod Taylor said it was important to preserve historic sites as the city evolved.

He said the project will enhance an important historical location for future generations to visit and learn from.

“It also enhances a well-used outdoor space just minutes from the city centre,” Taylor said.

Tree arborists worked with a helicopter to remove four trees from Monmouth Redoubt on Sunday, March 30. Photo/Rosalie Liddle Crawford.

Plans to restore Monmouth Redoubt were first identified in a 2019 conservation report developed with input from local hapū, historical societies, and nearby residents.

Tauranga City Council said the restoration of the historic site will ensure “long-term preservation and improve public access”.

Planning for this project has involved local hapū, including Ngāi Tamarāwaho, Ngāti Tapu, and Ngāi Tukairangi, with Ngāi Tamarāwaho providing onsite cultural monitoring.

Helicopter taking away part of a tree trunk. Photo/Cameron Scott.

Other key contributors include the Tauranga Historical Society, Heritage NZ, The Elms, and Monmouth Redoubt Reserve neighbours.

The second phase of the project will enhance public access and appreciation of the site, with plans for a new boardwalk and signage to improve the visitor experience.

The work will close the redoubt’s eastern pathway until late 2025.

Arborists in the trees cut the branches that were then removed by the helicopter. Photo/Rosalie Liddle Crawford.

 

1 comment

Tapsell's cannon

Posted on 01-04-2025 09:01 | By Scrotney

The cannon that faces the entrance of the Monmouth Redoubt is out of context. There is no evidence that this artillery piece was ever used to defend the Redoubt, or used at the Battles of Gate Pa or Te Ranga. It is understood to be one of Capt Phillip Tapsell's [of Maketu] cannons.


Leave a Comment


You must be logged in to make a comment.