8:07:56 Thursday 3 April 2025

Tipped barge: Approximately 10L of diesel spilt

The council says there are no reports of oil in the water, but oil booms have been used as a precaution. Photo / Supplied

Approximately 10L of diesel has been released into the harbour after a barge capsized at the Tauranga Bridge Marina.

In a statement sent by a Bay of Plenty Regional Council spokesperson, it stated proactive absorbent booms were in place to contain the spill. However, “A light sheen may be visible near the containment area.”

At about 2.15 pm on Monday, Bay of Plenty Regional Council staff were notified that a 30-metre-long barge operating at the marina had tipped on its side, resulting in the crane lying in the water, a spokesperson said in a statement.

Bay of Plenty Regional Council compliance manager and on-scene commander Matt Harrex said no oil had spilt into the water from the capsize.

Out of precaution, the council mobilised spill response equipment, which was deployed when they started to see fuel leaking from the barge.

On Monday afternoon, Bay of Plenty Regional Council staff were notified that a 30m barge operating at the Bridge Marina had tipped on its side, resulting in the crane lying in the water. Photo / Supplied
On Monday afternoon, Bay of Plenty Regional Council staff were notified that a 30m barge operating at the Bridge Marina had tipped on its side, resulting in the crane lying in the water. Photo / Supplied

“Council staff were on site yesterday working with the relevant parties to ensure the barge is safely secured and it would continue to be monitored until it can be salvaged.”

Harrex said the barge and crane are yet to be salvaged, and the company’s insurance agency is in the process of contracting a salvor and arranging a salvage plan.

“By the end of today, we will have more detail on what the salvage plan will entail and how long it will take.”

Harrex said it may take time for suitable equipment to be available for the operation.

An earlier statement from the Bay of Plenty Regional Council said no one had been injured.

“Our compliance and harbourmaster staff are currently assessing the situation and will continue to monitor and liaise with the salvage team,” the statement said.

Maritime NZ is aware of the capsize and is continuing to make enquiries into the incident which will inform their next steps.

“We were notified of this barge capsize by the Bay of Plenty Regional Council on the afternoon of 31 March and a Maritime Officer attended the scene where they spoke to the barge and tug crew and other witnesses,” a Maritime NZ spokesperson said in a statement.

Boats have been asked to keep clear of the area.

0 comments

Leave a Comment


You must be logged in to make a comment.